Style & Design
10 Mid-Century Modern Furniture Pieces We're Crushing on Right Now
Unless you’re hiding under a rock, you’ve probably seen some mid-century modern furniture pieces, well, everywhere. From TV shows, Instagram feeds, and interior design magazines, mid-century modern style has a moment in the spotlight. And, we can’t say we have a problem with that.
The mid-century modern style uses clean lines, geometric shapes, and furniture with tapered legs to bring a more lived-in look to the traditional, modern style. It also plays well with the combination of natural woods and metals to get attention to specific details. Mid-century furniture pieces can easily be spotted by their low profile, a mix of textures and materials, and often add a pop of color to the room.
10 Of Our Favorite Mid-Century Modern Furniture Picks
Today, more than ever, the mid-century modern look is everywhere. Be it on your favorite Tv-series or while flipping through your monthly subscription to a popular design magazine. This trend has hit a chord, and it's also one of our most requested design styles.
1. Mid-Century Media Console from West Elm (Under $800)
Best for Small Apartments: This media console from West Elm is love at first sight. The tapered legs, angled face and understated yet beautiful iconic details from the '50s and the 60's we have the heart eyes for. The narrow frame of this Tv-console also makes it an ideal pick for small spaces.
This media console is small-space-friendly, but it still has enough cabinet space with adjustable shelves to help you organize your items as you need. Plus, it’s made with fair trade and sustainably sourced materials, which is definitely an added plus to us.
- Adjustable shelves provide better use of the cabinet space
- Legs include built-in levelers to adjust to uneven surfaces
- It has four open spaces in the back for hiding cables
- Must use delicate cleaning products to prevent damaging the finish
- Only available in one color
Get Inspired: See how we've used it in this modern home office design.
2. Modway’s Mid-Century Modern Accent Arm Chair from Amazon (Under$500)
Best for Bedrooms: This Mid-Century modern armchair from Modway offers the perfect contemporary look. This sophisticated and versatile armchair will enhance your modern living room decor. Please place it in your favorite lounge spot and delve deep into both comfort and conversation.
The modern design paired with the mid-century style legs makes it the perfect addition to any room. This chair is big enough to work as an accent chair but compact enough to fit in a small space, perfect for anyone who wants to create a small reading nook in their bedroom.
- Easy to assemble
- The seat cushion is removable for easy cleaning
- Available in multiple colors
- The covers are not removable
- Not machine washable
- There’s a large zipper in the back
Get Inspired: We used this chair in an urban modern home office design. Here’s how you can style it.
3. Astrid Mid Century Dining Table from Target (Under $500)
Best for Open Spaces: Gather your friends and family for a lovely meal placed out on this dining table from Target. It adds a sleek style to your dining room with its rounded edges that also lend a soft touch to this design. Whether you're having a nightly dinner with the family or inviting guests, this dining table can fit them all with the extension leaf that offers extra table space.
This table comes with an extension leaf panel that instantly transforms it from a 4-seat table into a 6-seat table. Its mechanism makes it super easy to add the extension panel to seat additional guests.
- Instantly extends to seat up to 6 people
- Rounded edges offer a comfortable space for everyone on the table
- Available in three different wood color finishes
- It doesn’t come with a space to store the leaf when not in use
- The finishes of the table are easily scratchable, not kid-friendly
Get Inspired: See how we designed a Mid-Century Modern dining room featuring this table as the focal point.
4. Gracie Mid-Century Modern Chair from Wayfair (Under $300)
Best for Small Living Rooms: These mid-century modern chairs are the perfect match for the table we saw from Target previously. This chair from Wayfair has a terrific look with its wide seat and tapered frame. Add the ideal mid-century flair with this side chair.
The leather cushion of this classic mid-century side chair makes it that more special. Perfect to set them by the breakfast nook or try a more modern take on the dining chair. The back is low enough to offer support without being too prominent.
- Easy to clean with a damp cloth
- Can sustain up to 250 pounds
- Available in two wood finishes natural and dark walnut
- Requires full assembly
- It might be too short or small for some users
- Only sold as a set
Get Inspired: See how we paired this chair in this open living room layout.
5. Spotlight Ebony Bookcase from Crate and Barrel ($Under 600)
Best for Dining Rooms: We chose this ebony bookcase from Crate and Barrel for one of our client's dining rooms. They loved it so much they had us order an extra one for their home office as well. It is deep enough to accommodate a record player while being light framed. Overall it makes for the perfect storage and display spot.
Everything from this bookcase is perfect. The fixed shelves above give you enough space to fit books, vases, and other decorative items. It has a small table-like space that’s perfect for adding storage baskets to keep clutter away. And the small cabinet underneath includes an adjustable shelf for you to store away anything that you wish while you keep it away from everyone’s eyesight.
- It comes with a protective topcoat that prevents scratches and stains
- Includes an adjustable shelf within the cabinet for ultra customization
- It consists of a cabinet with doors to hide away items
- The coating is sensitive to rubber, aerosol, and unattended spills
6. Novelda Rocker Accent Chair from Ashley Furniture (Under $500)
Best for Nurseries: This accent chair from Ashley Furniture is a natural beauty. While this sleek rocking chair profile is a worthy addition to a reading nook or sitting area, this rocking chair's attached back, and seat cushions are genuinely a game-changer. By staging in place, you don’t have to worry about that wobbling feeling when rocking around. The exposed frame with the wood finish is perfect for any room, so even if you first get it for a nursery, it can easily transition to the bedroom or the living room.
Modern style furniture can upgrade the aesthetic of a nursery and make it easier to transition into a guest room when it's time.
- The attached back and seat cushions provide extra security and comfort
- Over-plush back and seat cushions offer additional comfort
- The rocking frame is quiet and controlled
- The attached cushions mean you can’t easily remove them to clean
- Not machine washable
- Requires adult assembly
Get Inspired: See how we used it in one of our mid-century nursery designs and were thoroughly applauded by our client for choosing this one.
7. Matrix Velvet Lounge Chair from Article (under $700)
Best for Eclectic Homes: The Matrix chair from Article is everything mid-century modern design is all about. Its traditional low profile, the blend of wood and velvet upholstery, and the yarrow gold hue for a unique pop of color.
There’s so much to love from this chair. First, the loose seat and back cushions make it easier to clean. The deep seating area makes it more comfortable, ideally perfectly with the slightly tilted backrest, making this chair the ultimate accent chair for any living room by the TV.
- Removable back and seat cushions for easy cleaning
- Available in multiple covers
- Tilted back guarantees comfort
- The fabric is dry clean only
- Cushions need to be fluffed and moved to prevent losing their shape
- Sun exposure can result in color fading
Get Inspired: See how we paired it with a deep blue chaise sofa in this sophisticated living room design.
8. Delavan Tripod Lamp from Target (Under $100)
Best for Modern Apartments: If your budget only lets you get one mid-century piece for your modern home, then you need to get this lamp. Plus, today, you can easily find affordable styles in retailers like Target that look just as amazing as the designer one. It has one of the most iconic and timeless shapes when it comes to mid-century design.
The sleek lines, the long legs, and the beautiful soft light it gives you are a must-have for your living room or even in your bedroom.
This free-standing lamp is perfect for any small nook. The three-leg tripod-style base makes it look like a statement piece, but its dimensions are perfect for even the smallest spaces. The light shade creates a nice buffer to deliver subtle, romantic, and timeliness lighting perfect for creating a comfortable atmosphere.
- No assembly required
- The lampshade can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth
- It comes in two different finishes
- There’s nothing to hide the cord
- The lamp isn’t heavy, so it can easily be stumped over
Get Inspired: Here’s how we added it to this modern living room design.
9. Mitzi Nightstand from West Elm (Under $200)
Best for Small Bedrooms: Most people think they need large furniture pieces to get the look and feel of mid-century design. But that couldn’t be farther from the truth. The Mitzi Nightstand from West Elm proves that you can add hints of mid-century design in even the smallest rooms, like this traditional bedroom. Slim and streamlined, this nightstand might seem insignificant, but it can make a huge statement in your space.
This tiny but mighty nightstand is an excellent addition to small bedrooms. Its best feature is the drawer that glides open and has a plastic stopper to keep it in place. It’s the perfect size to place a night lamp above while keeping other essentials like books, creams, and chargers in the drawer. Plus, the small hole by the drawer is perfect for keeping your phone inside and sticking the cable through the hole.
- Available in different colors
- Legs come with pads to protect your floors
- It comes with a secure drawer for storage
- Dimensions can be short for most adult bedrooms
- Must be cleaned using delicate cleaning products only
- Hardware can loosen over time
10. Martini Side Table From West Elm (Under $200)
Best for Indoors and Outdoor Decor: The key to incorporating mid-century style furniture into your home decor is to pick some iconic pieces like the classic martini side table. Sleek and sculptural, this table is as chic as its namesake cocktail. Perfect for adding a sculptural element to the living room or bedroom without being too overpowering.
Here’s how we chose to integrate this classic mid-century table in a beautiful living room design. Besides, these tables also carry one of the mid-century style rules: it’s functional. If you ever need extra seating space, this sturdy side table can turn into an ottoman when needed.
Best feature: Nothing compares to this iconic mid-century side table – especially at that price. Unlike original pieces, this one is hollow and lightweight, making it easy to transport, so you can find the perfect spot to keep it around the house.
- Suited for indoor and outdoor use
- Made from recycled materials
- Lightweight for easy transportation
- Only available in two finishes
- It can easily be tipped over if no weight is holding it down
Looking To Start A Design Project On Spacejoy?
If you like these home decor ideas and want to bring them to life in your home, or design your own perfect living space, start a project on Spacejoy. You will receive unlimited access to an expert online interior design team who can translate your vision and guide you to your perfect room design.
Our unique technology allows you to view your room in 3D and interact with your design. Move and swap the products with a touch of a finger to see the unlimited possibilities. Our team will also curate a shopping list for you with handpicked products to suit your budget and your style that you can shop right away on our platform.
Explore customer designs